Learning scriptures can be a daunting task. When it comes to teaching our children God’s word, I believe it’s important to memorize a few. Here is the long and short list of scriptures every kid should know:
Let’s face it…
The Bible is extensive.
Before I give you the “short list”, I feel that it’s necessary to explain the organization of the Bible a bit. It will better help you understand why I choose these particular verses to memorize.
All of God’s word is powerful and beneficial to our children. There are amazing lessons, stories, teachings, and hope found in His word!
I believe that understanding the framework of the Bible helps understanding of scripture. This is because when it comes to memorization… knowing where, when, why, or to whom the book was written are pertinent.
A very brief summary of the Biblical framework:
- Law: Genesis through Deuteronomy tells of creation, fall, flood, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, and the children of Israel traveling in the wilderness.
- History: Picks up in Joshua when the children of Israel are passing over into the promised land and goes all the way through the story of Esther. Great history stories in these books!
- Poetry- From Job to Song of Solomon. Psalms is included in these books. They were written during the same time as some of the books of history.
- Prophets- Major and Minor just because of their length. These prophesies took place during the same time as the books of history. They line up to tell the stories and prophesies of God during this time in Israel’s history.
- Gospels: After 400 years of silence, the New Testament begins with the birth of the testator (Jesus- God wrapped in flesh). Matthew-John tell first hand accounts of His life on earth.
- History: The only history book in the N.T. in fact. Acts tells the history of the first Christian church.
- Letters: Romans-Jude are messages from God (through Paul and other apostles) to the new Christian church.
- Prophesy: Revelation is an amazing study. So much to learn about the church of that time as well as today in these chapters.
Think of where each scripture on this “short list of scriptures every kid should know” comes from in the biblical framework. It will deepen your understanding and help teach them meaningfully.
The “short list” is here! I encourage you to start memroizing!
#1) Genesis 1:1
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
#2) Deuteronomy 32:4
He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.
#3) Psalm 18:2
The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.
#4) Acts 2:38
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
#5) Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.
#6) Ephesians 3:19
And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
#7) Revelation 1:8
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.